Here are a few tips that I have picked up regarding cooking low-fat. I will add to this list as I learn more or remember some I forgot.
1. The fewer the ingredients the better in a pre-made item
2. several low-fat substitutions are just as good as their counterparts. The non-fat are not but the low-fat are.
3. I buy the small paper plates at Costco because if our plates are smaller, our portions are smaller(we use paper plates all the time)
4. Use Canola oil instead of vegetable
5. Use yogurt instead of sour cream
6. I know I have others.